Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Greek Revival Architecture
— Built in 1848 by Berry Owens —
From the front portico of this house was read the order of Gen. James H. Wilson, USA, placing the first Capital of the Confederacy under martial law on April 12, 1865.
This house, typical of many homes of the period, was home successively of the Owens, Ware, Walker, Graham, and Teague families.
Since 1955 it has served as headquarters of the Alabama State Chamber of Commerce and is open to the public.
Erected 1960 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 32° 22.328′ N, 86° 18.44′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of South Perry Street and High Street, on the left when traveling north on South Perry Street. The Teague House is now the home of the Alabama Historical Commission. Touch for map Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. House of the Mayors (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Knox Hall (about 400 feet away); Juliette Hampton Morgan / Montgomery City-County Public Library (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); Civil War - Barnes School / Figh-Pickett House (about 700 feet away); Governor Shorter House (about 800 feet away); Lomax House, 1848 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Civil Rights Freedom Riders (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 496 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 2. submitted on January 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.