Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Rosa Parks Branch Library / Bertha Pleasant Williams
Rosa Parks Branch Library
Second public library for blacks in City of Montgomery, this building opened in 1960 as Montgomery Branch Library on Cleveland Avenue. Designed by architect James Miller Davis, it served the black population at a time the main facility on High Street prohibited their patronage. Planned to contain 15,000 volumes, this structure has meeting rooms and areas for adults, teen-agers and children. Judge Frank Johnson ordered desegregation of Montgomery libraries in 1962. The first public library for blacks opened in 1948 in two rooms of the Community House of City Federation of Negro Women's Clubs on South Union Street. Librarian Bertha Williams, the first black employee of the city library system, led that branch for its twelve years of operation and became head librarian of this one upon its opening. Change of name to Rosa Parks Branch came with re-naming of Cleveland Avenue for heroine of Bus Boycott.
Bertha Pleasant Williams
First black employee of Montgomery library system, Bertha Pleasant Williams received a high school degree in
Erected 2012 by The Fortitude Foundation - Montgomery Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. & the Alabama Historical Association.
Marker series. Historically Black Colleges and Universities marker series.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 32° 21.544′ N, 86° 19.012′ W. Marker was in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker was at the intersection of Rosa L Parks Avenue and Early Street, on the right when traveling south on Rosa L Parks Avenue. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 1276 Rosa L Parks Avenue, Montgomery AL 36108, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Bertha Pleasant Williams Library (a few steps from this marker); Home of Dr. E. D. Nixon, Sr. (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charlie and Lucille Times (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Cleveland Court Apartments (approx. 0.3 miles away); Holt Street Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Percy Lavon Julian (approx. half a mile away); Sidney Lanier High School (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
Regarding Rosa Parks Branch Library / Bertha Pleasant Williams. The library name was changed in July, 2012 from Rosa Parks Library to its current name of Bertha Pleasant Williams Library in honor of the city's first black librarian.
Categories. • African Americans • Arts, Letters, Music • Civil Rights • Women •
More. Search the internet for Rosa Parks Branch Library / Bertha Pleasant Williams.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 568 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 20, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 5. submitted on July 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of marker after repair and re-installation. • Can you help?