Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pintlala in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Federal Road / Manac's Tavern

 
 
The Federal Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, January 31, 2014
1. The Federal Road Marker
Inscription.  
Side 1
The Federal Road

The 1803 Louisiana Purchase acquired 828,000 sq. mi. for the U.S., doubling its size. The Federal Road was built to provide a shorter route from Washington to New Orleans and the new territory. The Treaty of 1805 with the Creeks authorized traversing their lands. Entering Alabama at Ft. Mitchell near Columbus, GA, it came through Mt. Meigs, to Pintlala, Ft. Deposit, Burnt Corn, Ft. Stoddert, then Mobile. The 1814 Treaty of Ft. Jackson made much fertile Creek land available to grow cotton; this lure, “Alabama Fever,” drew many thousands of settlers to central Alabama. In 1860, spans were still in use, but the Road was gone.

Side 2
Manac's Tavern

Manacís Tavern, located near here and nearby Pinchona Creek, was the oldest stand on the Federal Road. Samuel Manac, the proprietor, in 1701 went with Alexander McGillivray to the U.S. capitol in NYC and met George Washington to conclude a peace treaty for the Creek Nation, the U.S.ís first treaty with a foreign power. He married Red Eagleís sister, Elizabeth. Aaron Burr stayed here in 1807.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
In 1822 Samís son, David Moniac, became the first Indian and first Alabamian to graduate from West Point . In 1836, in the Second Seminole War, Maj. Moniac was killed at Wahoo Swamp leading a unit of Creek militia against the braves of Osceola, who was his wifeís cousin.
 
Erected 1997 by the Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce Historical Preservation and Promotion Foundation & the Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1803.
 
Location. 32° 10.592′ N, 86° 23.21′ W. Marker is in Pintlala, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Federal Road and Cloverfield Road (County Route 24), on the right when traveling south on Federal Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 399 Federal Road, Hope Hull AL 36043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pintlala School (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pintlala Grange Hall / Grange Hall School (approx. one mile away); Federal Road, 1805, (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Bethel Cemetery (approx. 1Ĺ miles away);
Manac's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, January 31, 2014
2. Manac's Tavern Marker
Tankersley Rosenwald School (approx. 3 miles away); Abner McGehee / Early Alabama Entrepreneur (approx. 5.6 miles away); Teague Road (approx. 7.3 miles away); Lynching in America / Lynching in Letohatchee (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pintlala.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Encyclopedia of Alabama - Federal Road in Alabama. Replacement for original broken link; 09/01/2020 LPG. (Submitted on January 31, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.) 
 
The Federal Road / Manac's Tavern Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, January 31, 2014
3. The Federal Road / Manac's Tavern Area
The Federal Road / Manac's Tavern Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, January 31, 2014
4. The Federal Road / Manac's Tavern Area
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 31, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 955 times since then and 102 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 31, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=71535

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024