San Angelo in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Construction of the Fort
Between 1867 and 1879, troops and civilian craftsmen, many being German stonemasons from Fredericksburg, Texas, erected six barracks, ten officers' quarters, several storehouses, six stables/corrals, a headquarters, hospital, schoolhouse/chapel, and other support structures. Limestone, quarried near the town of Ben Ficklin a few miles south of the fort, provided stability even beyond the army's needs. Mortar consisted of a mixture of kiln-produced lime extracted from the stone and local sand. Timber was always in short supply, and local pecan wood proven unsuitable because of its hardness and tendency to warp. Work progressed slowly as a result of delays in transporting materials overland by wagon, the rapid turnover of commanding officers, and a lack of overall planning.
Officers' Quarters 5
Construction began in 1868, and the building was occupied by 1869. The architectural design matched that of Officers' Quarters (OQ) 2, 4, and 6. Like the other quarters, OQ5 became a private residence after the military abandoned the post in 1889. The second story, removed in 1917, was weak and had structural issues. The
Major John P. Hatch
4th U.S. Cavalry
While he commanded Fort Concho in June 1870, Major John P. Hatch experimented with adobe construction. Work was abandoned after August rains washed away the bricks. Thus, Major Hatch received the nickname "Dobe" Hatch, which he carried throughout his military career.
[Photo captions read]
Officers' Row circa 1871, OQ5 is the fourth complete building from the right
Tent Officers' Quarters used prior to permanent stone structures
Officer's Quarters 5 circa 1950
Ryan Lupton, Eagle Scout Project, 2009
Erected 2009 by Fort Concho National Historic Landmark and Others.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Man-Made Features • Wars, US Indian. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1870.
Location. 31° 27.198′ N, 100° 25.798′ W. Marker is in San Angelo, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is along Officers' Row at Fort Concho. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 630 South Oakes Street, San Angelo TX 76903, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this markerE. H. Danner (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Concho (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Tenth Cavalry (about 700 feet away); Fort Concho Medal of Honor Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Allen-Hartgrove House (approx. ¼ mile away); Orient-Santa Fe Freight Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Orient-Santa Fe Passenger Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Early Public Transportation in San Angelo (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Angelo.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Concho National Historic Landmark. (Submitted on February 26, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Fort Concho, Texas. (Submitted on February 26, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 26, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 570 times since then and 110 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 26, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.