Fort Ogden in DeSoto County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
As white settlers moved into Florida, demands increased for the removal of the Seminole Indians to a western reservation. The Seminoles failed to cooperate, and in 1835 the conflict known as the Second Seminole War began. By 1841, the Indians were still entrenched in central and south Florida. Campaign plans for that year aimed at clearing Indians from the area between the Withlacoochee River and the frontier and then attacking Indian bands in big Cypress Swamp. To sustain the wide-ranging troops, detached camps were established at various points. Camp Ogden, named for Captain Edmund Ogden of the 8th U.S. Infantry, seems to have been established in July, 1841 as an advanced position for the Big Cypress campaign. In addition, 55 canoes were constructed for the next winter’s Everglades expedition. Before the camp was abandoned in the fall, an influential Indian leader, Coacoochee, visited Camp Ogden. The community of Fort Ogden developed in this citrus and cattle region in the last part of the 19th century and took its name from the Second Seminole War camp. Fort Ogden’s post office, established in 1876, is the oldest in DeSoto County to
Erected 1976 by Fort Ogden Civic Club in cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-256.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 27° 5.006′ N, 81° 57.373′ W. Marker is in Fort Ogden, Florida, in DeSoto County. Marker is on U.S. 17 0.2 miles south of Southwest River Street, on the right when traveling south. The marked is located in front of the Fort Ogden Post Office. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9693 South Highway 17, Fort Ogden FL 34267, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Owens Community School (approx. 6.8 miles away); Lt. Carl A. Bailey Cemetery (approx. 9.2 miles away); Hickory Bluff Cemetery (approx. 9.6 miles away); Arcadia Historic District (approx. 10.9 miles away); Charlotte Harbor Cemetery (approx. 10.9 miles away); DeSoto County (approx. 10.9 miles away); Hickory Bluff Pioneers (approx. 10.9 miles away); Arcadia City Hall (approx. 10.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2017. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 582 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.