Pigeon Forge in Sevier County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
At the age of 12, this son of a Presbyterian minister earned $4.00 a week working from before dawn to dusk on a large fertile Indiana farm. In 1917 his family moved from the Midwest to White Pine, Tennessee. Dr. Broady entered college to study agriculture, but in 1923 a "God calling" and a presentation at Maryville College by a medical missionary changed his life. At Maryville, he crossed paths with Ellen Cox of Seymour. The two dated while he attended the University of Pennsylvania Medical School and she was at Philadelphia General Hospital Nursing School. They married in 1930. By 1933 he and Nurse Broady were serving as medical missionaries in China where over 50,000 patients were examined or treated throughout their five year tenure which included the 1936 malaria epidemic. The Chinese were so grateful for the two Americans that they presented them with a silk banner: "Liang Nam Sha Yeu" or "It has rained south of Laing River" which meant that the Broady couple treated everyone the same, rich or poor. Their growing family left China in 1937 as the threat of World War II loomed.
In 1937 the two moved to Mrs. Broady's native county and opened a medical office over Wade's Department Store in Sevierville. The town doctor made numerous house calls, switching from car to mule to reach back country homes, sometimes crossing treacherous rain-swollen or frozen waters. In 1940 Broady Hospital opened on Bruce Street; he felt this was his greatest accomplishment. Practicing for nearly half a century, Dr. Broady delivered 7,107 babies, a sizeable portion of the county population. Many of these were assisted by Mrs. Broady who also taught nursing and managed the hospital. Nurse Broady was an efficient caring woman whose advice in the hospital found its way into the homes and daily lives of wives and mothers. The couple had six children, two of whom died in separate accidents before they were grown.
Mr. W. J. Brown, Church of God Children’s Home Director, wrote of Dr. and Mrs. Broady in 1983, “You are a tonic for all who know you. We love you and always will.”
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1937.
Location. 35° 46.708′ N, 83° 32.518′ W. Marker is in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, in Sevier County. Marker is at the intersection of Golf Drive and Day Springs Road, on the right on Golf Drive. From the Parkway in Pigeon Forge, turn on Golf Drive, between traffic lights 8 and 10, across from Cracker Barrel Old County Store. Travel .2 miles. The marker is at the entrance of campground on the right, at the intersection of Golf Drive and Day Springs Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Day Springs Road, Pigeon Forge TN 37863, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pigeon Forge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pigeon Forge Attractions (approx. ¼ mile away); First Baptist Church Pigeon Forge (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pigeon River Railroad (approx. 0.6 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Pigeon Forge and Pigeon Forge Academy (approx. 0.7 miles away); Pigeon Forge Elementary School / Pigeon Forge Canning Factory (approx. 0.8 miles away); Sevier County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pigeon Forge Iron Works (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pigeon Forge.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 1, 2014, by Marcia Nelson of Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 532 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 1, 2014, by Marcia Nelson of Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.