Palm Coast in Flagler County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
This road was built about 1766 when Colonel James Grant was governor of British East Florida. It extended from St. Augustine to Cow Ford (Jacksonville) and north to Colerain, Ga., across the St. Marys River. Later the road was extended south along the Matanzas River. Aided in part by donations from Grant’s friends in South Carolina and Georgia, the road’s chief financial backing came from local subscribers. It became a major artery of travel.
Erected 1961 by Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. (Marker Number F-22.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1766.
Location. 29° 38.191′ N, 81° 15.962′ W. Marker is in Palm Coast, Florida, in Flagler County. Marker is on North Old Kings Road, 0.3 miles north of Princess Place Road, on the right when traveling north. The marker is located at the trailhead for the Pellicer Creek Conservation Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Palm Coast FL 32137, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this markerPrincess Place Estate (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Studio (approx. 3.4 miles away); Washington Oaks Gardens (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Citrus Groves (approx. 3.4 miles away); Young Home (approx. 3.4 miles away); Formal Gardens (approx. 3˝ miles away); Old Highway A1A (approx. 3˝ miles away); Greenhouse (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palm Coast.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 3, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 695 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 3, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.