Stockton in Cedar County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Here where the Ozark Highland borders on the Western Prairie region of Missouri, Cedar County was organized in 1845. The name is for the trees along Cedar Creek. Stockton, the county seat, was platted in 1846 on land given by Zimri and Marian Crabtree was first named Lancaster. Another town in Mo. also took this name, so Cedar Countians called their town Fremont until, displeased with political views of Gen. John C. Fremont, they took the name honoring Mexican War Commander R.F. Stockton in 1859.
Cedar County, furnishing troops to both sides, was torn by violence in the Civil War. In Aug., 1862, Union Majors Douglas Dade and Samuel Montgomery drove Confed. Col. J.T. Coffee from Stockton and on July 11, 1863, Confed. Major T.R. Livingston and Union Lt. W.A. McMinn were killed in an affray there. Gen. J.O. Shelby routed a Federal garrison and burned the courthouse on Oct. 5, 1863.
The present courthouse in Stockton is a handsome monolithic concrete structure. It was dedicated in 1940. The first courthouse, 1855-63, was replaced by a second in 1867 which was torn down in 1940.
In Cedar County is El Dorado Springs, one of Missouri's health resorts. Mineral springs were discovered by the Joshua Hightower family and a town laid out there by N.H. and W.P. Cruce in 1881. To the south, about the same time Jerico Springs grew up near another spring. A number of Germans and Bohemians settled in that area. The spring in Stockton's City Park issues from a cave which underlies the town.
Stockton is the birthplace of the noted veterinarian J.W. Connaway (1859-1947); and soldier, congressman, Lieutenant Governor of Missouri Joseph J. Gravelly (1828-72) lived in Cedar County.
Erected 1958 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Missouri, The State Historical Society of series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1918.
Location. 37° 41.889′ N, 93° 47.78′ W. Marker is in Stockton, Missouri, in Cedar County. Marker is on South Street (Missouri Route 39) south of Wells Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 113 South Street, Stockton MO 65785, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2014, by Tru Chamberlain of Overland Park, Kansas. This page has been viewed 785 times since then and 191 times this year. Last updated on April 8, 2014, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 6, 2014, by Tru Chamberlain of Overland Park, Kansas. 3. submitted on April 8, 2014, by Tru Chamberlain of Overland Park, Kansas. 4. submitted on December 20, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.