New City in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1832 Jacob J. and Margaret (Remsen) Blauvelt built the main section of this Dutch Colonial-style farmhouse. Jacob was a farmer, inspector of common schools, a justice of the peace for the Town of Clarkstown and an officer in the 83rd Regiment of Infantry, N.Y.S. Militia. The Dutch-Anglo barn was built between 1840 and 1870. In 1741 Jacob's great-grandfather Jacob A. Blauvelt purchased 300 acres within what was then the Kakiat Patent. His grandfather Jacob Ja. acquired the northern half of the land in 1753 and, along with his family, was the first of several generations to live on it. In 1970 the Historical Society of Rockland County purchased the house, barn buildings and four acres to establish its headquarters and preserve the Blauvelt Family history. Marjorie Hornblower Johnson, Sponsor, Erected 2010
Erected 1980 by Historical Society of Rockland County and Marjorie Hornblower Johnson.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Colonial Era Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the New York, Historical Society of Rockland County series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 41° 10.255′ N, 73° 59.263′ W. Marker was in New City, New York, in Rockland County. Marker was on Zukor Road, 0.2 miles north of the Haverstraw Road and Main Street intersection, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 20 Zukor Road, New City NY 10956, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Jacob Blauvelt House (within shouting distance of this marker); New City World War I Monument (approx. 1.6 miles away); In Grateful Recognition (approx. 1.6 miles away); Rockland County Court House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Rockland County Korea - World War II - Vietnam Monument (approx. 1.7 miles away); Rockland County Veterans Monument (approx. 1.7 miles away); Rockland County Law Enforcement Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Kurt Weill and Lotte Lenya (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New City.
More about this marker. There was a previous marker on Zukor Road that was damaged and fell. This marker replaces that marker and is now located on the lawn in front of the historic house.
Also see . . . The Historical Society of Rockland County. Society website (Submitted on June 25, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 25, 2008, by Historical Society of Rockland County of New City, New York. This page has been viewed 1,788 times since then and 22 times this year. Last updated on April 18, 2014, by Clare Sheridan of Tappan, New York. Photos: 1. submitted on April 18, 2014, by Clare Sheridan of Tappan, New York. 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 25, 2008, by Historical Society of Rockland County of New City, New York. 5. submitted on January 9, 2009, by Historical Society of Rockland County of New City, New York. 6. submitted on April 18, 2014, by Clare Sheridan of Tappan, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.