Plymouth in Plymouth County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
These pieces are from the collection in the British National Artillery Museum. They were the only cannon of that period and of English manufacture in the collection "in consideration of the greatness of the occasion, the tercentenary celebration of the landing f the pilgrims, and the good will of the English Nation,the government, on behalf of the British people have made this gift to the town of Plymouth Massachusetts"
On the right is a "minion" of the time of Mary, 1554, with a rose and the letters M.R. (Maria Regina). and is inscribed "John and Thomas Mayo, brethern, made this pece anno dni. 1554." On the left is a "sakeret" of the time of Edward the Sixth with a shield and three lions passant inscribed, "Tomas Owen made this pece for the ye'l of carnse
They were transmitted through the Honourable Artillery Company Of London, chartered 1537, and placed here by the ancient and Honorable Artillery Company Of Massachusetts, chartered 1638, and dedicated October the 4th, 1921.
This tribute to amicable relations Colonel the Earl of Denbigh and Desmond commandant of the Honorable Artillery Co. and honorary member of the A.& H.A. Co.
Erected 1921 by Colonel the Earl of Denbigh.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Colonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1621.
Location. 41° 57.322′ N, 70° 39.937′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, Massachusetts, in Plymouth County. Marker can be reached from Church Street. Although the cannons themselves are not currently mounted here, this plaque offers some interesting historical insights into the celebration of the tercentenary of the Pilgrims' landing in Plymouth. Located on Burial Hill overlooking Cape Cod Bay. This can best be accessed from the entrance on School street between the churches. See the historical marker "Burial Hill" for more information. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plymouth MA 02360, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Fort (a few steps from this marker); Robert Cushman James Warren (within shouting distance of this marker); Alexander Scammell (within shouting distance of this marker); Burial Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); John Alden (within shouting distance of this marker); Edward Doty (within shouting distance of this marker); Major William Bradford (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth.
More about this marker. This large bronze tablet stands about four feet tall in the center of a concrete slab surrounded by a black wrought iron fence. Mounting bolts are visible on either side of the vertical tablet where the cannons once stood. It is not clear why or when they were removed or where they are currently. Many old post cards exist, and the most recent photo published that I can find is 2008.
This plaque is located on the top of Burial Hill at the site of the first fort built in 1621 and a later fort built in 1675. It has a commanding view over the town of Plymouth and Cape Cod Bay where the Mayflower first landed. Town Square with First Parish Church, the Church of the Pilgrimage and the 1749 Courthouse building are at the foot of the hill.
Regarding Tercentenary Cannons. The following account of the Tercentenary celebration from Sail 1620, gives some idea of the scope of this historic event.
"In August 1921 an estimated 100,000 souls, including President Warren G. Harding and Vice President Calvin Coolidge attended the celebration marking the 300th year of the landing of the Pilgrims. In preparation. The shoreside buildings and wharves had been demolished and the area filled in to about its present size. A pageant, costing some $200,000, took place consisting of 1,200 participants, a chorus of 300, and a huge orchestra."
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2014, by Larry Wilson of Wareham, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 536 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 23, 2014, by Larry Wilson of Wareham, Massachusetts. 4, 5. submitted on June 18, 2020, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 6. submitted on April 23, 2014, by Larry Wilson of Wareham, Massachusetts. 7. submitted on June 18, 2020, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.