Near Van Voorhis in Monongalia County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
West Virginia / Pennsylvania
West Virginia (Monongalia County). “The Mountain State”—western part of the Commonwealth of Virginia until June 20, 1863. Settled by the Germans and Scotch-Irish. It became a line of defense between the English and French during the French and Indian War, 1754-1763.
Pennsylvania. Named for William Penn to whom it was granted in 1681 by Charles II. In 1682, Penn made his first settlement Philadelphia. Early settlements had been made by Swedes in 1838. It was one of the thirteen original colonies.
Erected 1964 by West Virginia Historic Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Political Subdivisions • War, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History, and the West Virginia State Border Markers series lists.
Location. 39° 43.236′ N, 79° 54.654′ W. Marker is near Van Voorhis, West Virginia, in Monongalia County. Marker is on U.S. 119. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mason-Dixon Line (here, next to this marker); Albert Gallatin (approx. 1.4 miles away in Pennsylvania); “The Baptist Church at the Forks of Cheat” (approx. 2 miles away); Stewartstown (approx. 2 miles away); Fort Martin (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Martin (approx. 2 miles away); Joseph Snider (approx. 3˝ miles away); Sophia Allegre Gallatin (approx. 3.9 miles away in Pennsylvania).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 423 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 30, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.