Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Parkersburg in Wood County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Parkersburg

 
 
Parkersburg Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, April 13, 2014
1. Parkersburg Marker
Inscription.  Blockhouse at "Point" built by Virginia for border defense during the Indian hostilities. Garrisoned by troops under Bogard, Coburn, and others. Still standing in 1803. County seat established in 1800 on land given by John Stokley.
 
Erected 1881 by West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesWar, French and IndianWars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1803.
 
Location. 39° 16.002′ N, 81° 33.702′ W. Marker is in Parkersburg, West Virginia, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of Juliana Street and 5th Street on Juliana Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Parkersburg WV 26101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Episcopal Church and Rectory (within shouting distance of this marker); Cornerstone Of The Original Trinity Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Smoot Theatre (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct
Parkersburg Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, April 13, 2014
2. Parkersburg Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
line); George Neale, Jr. House (about 300 feet away); Logan Memorial Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Blennerhassett Hotel (about 600 feet away); Jacob Beeson Blair (about 700 feet away); Saint Francis Xavier Catholic Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Parkersburg.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 8, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 292 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 8, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=73517

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Feb. 5, 2023