Tinbridge Hill in Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old City Cemetery
Also known as the Old Methodist Cemetery
— The City of Lynchburg, Virginia —
Established in 1806, the first acre of ground was given by the City’s founder, John Lynch. Now encompassing approximately twenty-five acres, the cemetery boundaries have been expanded throughout its history. Originally, citizens “claimed” a plot and were responsible for its upkeep. Thus family plots were defined by stone walls, wrought iron enclosures or, simply, corner markers. Many irregularities existed.
There are many thousands more citizens buried within the cemetery than existing tombstones would indicate. Estimates of over 20,000 burials by 1925, with no record of locations, prompted the first closing of the cemetery. Burials continued, however, until a second closing in 1965 restricted
Seated: Mrs. John H. Lewis (Elizabeth Dabney Langhorne) 1851-1946 An officer of the Southern Memorial Association for over fifty years.
Standing: Mrs. James A. Scott (Anne Norvell Otey) 1872-1948
The Southern Memorial Association, founded in 1866, was originally composed of ladies devoted to the cause of honoring the soldiers buried in the Confederate Section and preserving their memory with monuments, grave markers, and memorial services.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil.
Location. 37° 24.827′ N, 79° 9.312′ W. Marker is in Tinbridge Hill in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street and Taylor Street, on the right when traveling west on 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Taylor Street, Lynchburg VA 24501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Old City Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); College Hill Reservoir Water Pitcher (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Inner DefencesSite of Lynchburg's Pest House (about 400 feet away); Iron Fencing (about 500 feet away); The Quartermaster’s Glanders Stable (about 600 feet away); Site of Glanders Stable (about 600 feet away); Ivy Chapel Union Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tinbridge Hill.
Also see . . . Old City Cemetery. The Oldest Public Cemetery in Virginia Still in Use Today - Central Virginia's Most Unique Public Garden (Submitted on May 27, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 525 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 27, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 2. submitted on May 26, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 3. submitted on May 30, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.