Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
College Hill Reservoir Water Pitcher
(upper left) College Hill Reservoir, c.1960
(upper right) 1891 Map of Lynchburg. The water pitcher and fence were originally located at the old College Hill Reservoir on Park Avenue, only 2 blocks from this site. The huge water tanks beside the old reservoir are visible to your left.
(lower right)Glamorgan foundry workers, 1891, one year after they cast the water pitcher. George Washington McQuary, pictured in the upper left corner, died one year after this photograph was taken and was buried nearby in the Cemetery.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Man-Made Features. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1890.
Location. 37° 24.81′ N, 79° 9.375′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Taylor Street and 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Taylor Street, Lynchburg VA 24501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Lynchburg's Pest House (within shouting distance of this marker); Stone Well Cap (within shouting distance of this marker); Iron Fencing (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marble Column (about 300 feet away); Old City Cemetery (about 300 feet away); The Quartermaster’s Glanders Stable (about 300 feet away); The Gatehouse Story (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Old City Cemetery (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lynchburg.
Also see . . . Old City Cemetery. The oldest public cemetery in Virginia still in use today - central Virginia's most unique public garden. (Submitted on May 29, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 714 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 29, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.