Lake Island Park, Wintergreen Island, Tugwell Island & Clark Island
Lake Island Park also included a large portion of the eastern end of Sunset Island and all of the mainland property now owned by the Clark family. The Clark family home now sits on the site of the old dance pavilion, which later was converted into the clubhouse for the Tuscarora Golf Course. In addition to this pavilion, the park contained refreshment stands, a baseball diamond and an outdoor theater where plays were presented. There was also a steam powered merry-go-round and a toboggan water slide, in
The current Tuscarora Yacht Club now encompasses all of Clark Island plus considerable adjacent shore dockage.
~ as told by C. F. Horton
Lake Island Park, circa early 1900's - Water Slide & Dance Pavilion with many guests.
The Tugwell Cottage, circa 1920 ~ Note footbridge where vehicle bridge is today. The cottage to the left was part of Lake Island Park.
Clark Island under construction in the 1960's ~ Note the old foot bridge from Tugwell's Cottage and baseball diamond from Lake Island Park
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 43° 18.837′ N, 78° 50.148′ W. Marker is in Wilson, New York, in Niagara County. Marker can be reached from Shore Drive 0.2 miles north of Park Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker faces the sidewalk end, not the road. Approaching on the road northward, the marker and sidewalk end are hidden by a hedgerow. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 Shore Drive, Wilson NY 14172, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Lake Island Park (here, next to this marker); Greenwood Veterans' Memorial Park (about 600 feet away, measured
Also see . . . Tuscarora Yacht Club. (Submitted on July 1, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 301 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 1, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.