Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Tredegar Iron Works
has been designated a
National Historic Landmark by
American Society for Metals
Chartered in 1837, Tredegar Iron Works was a major supplier of armament to the Confederacy during the Civil War. The foundry cast more than 1000 cannons for Lee's troops, and the rolling mills turned out heavy iron plates for Confederate naval vessels, including the Merrimac, the world's first armored warship.
Erected 1976 by American Society for Metals.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 37° 32.114′ N, 77° 26.684′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Tredegar Street 0.1 miles west of South 5th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Tredegar Street, Richmond VA 23219, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Canal Walk / Historic Canals (within shouting distance of this marker); The Gun Foundry (within shouting Joseph Reid Anderson (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Tredegar Iron Works (within shouting distance of this marker); Enterprise and Iron (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cupola Furnace and Foundry (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Visitor Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Overshot Waterwheel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . . American Civil War Museum. (Submitted on July 13, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 676 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 13, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.