White Sulphur Springs in Greenbrier County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Tennis and the Outdoor Swimming Pool
When the Golf Clubhouse was built in 1915 clay tennis courts were added in front of the building. The most famous tennis tournaments at The Greenbrier were the Mason and Dixon Championships held each April from 1921 to 1937. One of the final rounds in the Davis Cup selection, the matches received national attention. Winners included Bill Tilden, Francis Hunter, Donald Budge, Francis X. Shields, George Lott and Bryan "Bitsy" Grant.
The Indoor Tennis center opened in 1975 and was the home of World Seniors Tournaments for five years. Today's infinity-edge Outdoor Pool, built in 2004, is sited where an earlier outdoor pool opened in 1956. A gymnasium stood at this location during World War II where recuperating soldiers played basketball when The Greenbrier was an Army hospital. Before that, the resort's first Golf Clubhouse, built in 1910, stood on this site.
Erected by The Greenbrier.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • Science & Medicine • Sports • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1915.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 West Main Street, White Sulphur Springs WV 24986, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Springhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Springhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); President's Cottage (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old White (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Greenbrier Clinic and Project Greek Island (approx. ¼ mile away); Kate's Mountain (approx. 0.4 miles away); White Sulphur (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dry Creek Battle (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in White Sulphur Springs.
Also see . . . The Greenbrier, America's Resort. (Submitted on July 17, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 17, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.