Brockport in Monroe County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Main Street Brockport Enterprises in the Early 1900s
Daniel Holmes, the spirit of Main Street
1. Daniel Holmes (1828-1917) practiced law in offices on Main Street from 1852 until his death. He was Village Clerk for twenty years, Justice of the Peace for thirty years, Vestryman at St. Luke's Episcopal Church for fifty years, and member of the Council of the Brockport State Normal School for more than fifty years, the longest tenure in the history of the institution. His frail figure was a common sight on Main Street for many decades.
2. A visual key to Main Street during this era:
Photo post cards: Indicated here with red letters, all but one are about life size. T.H. Dobson produced and sold a large number of them through his well-known drug store situated on Main Street. The approximate locations of the camera and angles of view are shown on the map.
Illustrated trade cards: Are reproduced here slightly smaller than life size. They were the forerunners of today's business cards. Caption numbers indicate their Main Street address.
Sanborn maps [this one is 1914]: These were produced every few years for fire insurance purposes. Structures were color-coded: Red
Because these post cards, trade cards and map were produced at slightly different times during this era, some addresses may not match up. Just like today, some businesses dissolved or moved to different locations. Building numbering may also have changed somewhat.
3. In the early 1950s local author A.B. Elwell wrote about family owned businesses having long term success. Among them: Davis Grocery (83 yrs.), Dobson Drug (78 yrs.), Decker Hardware (61 yrs.). Elwell went on to say: "We often hear rumors that a shopping center is coming... . If that ever occurs, I predict that our present well-established stores will seek to change their location." None of the above businesses existed after the late 1960s.
A. Main Street looking south, possibly from the raised canal bridge. It was not long after the note on this card was penned that automobiles started replacing the horse and wagon.
B. West side of Main Street looking north from Clinton Street. From left to right: Owens Co., Hippodrome, ??, American Hotel. This is the block where the Post Office is currently located. This original liftbridge was replaced in 1915.
C. Main Street, looking northeast from Main & Erie Streets.
D. Main Street, looking
#93; Brennan & Adams
#74; The First National Bank of Brockport
(now JP Morgan Chase Bank).
#64; John R. Davis groceries
#58?; James E. Patten drugs and books
#56; Thomas H. Dobson drugs
#52; Charles Decker hardware
#50; Roscoe E. Hurd shoes
#5 &7; Smith
Erected 2013 by Brockport Community Museum and Fred Hill Elementary School classes of Mary Wanzer and Eileen Youngbluth.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 43° 12.939′ N, 77° 56.301′ W. Marker is in Brockport, New York, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (New York State Route 19) and Market Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 37 Main Street, Brockport NY 14420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Canal Commerce in Brockport (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); American Revolutionary War MemorialMain Street District (about 400 feet away); Brockport and the Canal (about 500 feet away); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); McCormick Reapers (about 700 feet away); Park Ave. / State St. Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Morgan-Manning House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brockport.
Also see . . .
1. A Brief History of Brockport NY. (Submitted on July 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. A Brief History of Brockport NY, 1879. (Submitted on July 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 397 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on July 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.