Fort Erie in Regional Municipality of Niagara, Ontario — Central Canada ()
Bertie Street Ferry Landing
c. 1796 - 1950
The longest operating ferry dock was here, near the foot of present-day Bertie Street. It was licenced to Henry Windecker c. 1796.
This hub of activity was not only a crossing point to and from the United States, but was also the location of customs, immigration, vehicle registration, and a railroad terminus.
During the mid 1800s fugitive slaves were ferried here to freedom, as their last stop on the ‘Underground Railroad’.
During the early 1900s tourists could board the Fort Erie, Snake Hill and Pacific Railroad at this point, for a trip to Erie Beach Amusement Park.
Ferry business declined following the opening of the Peace Bridge in 1927. The last crossing of people and vehicles to Fort Erie by ferry occurred Sept. 2, 1950, on a boat called the Orleans.
Erected by Fort Erie LACAC.
Location. 42° 54.744′ N, 78° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 131 Niagara Parkway, Fort Erie, Ontario L2A 1X6, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Erie Ferry Landings (here, next to this marker); Freedom Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Nowak Pier (approx. half a kilometer away in the U.S.); Harrowing Journey (approx. 0.6 kilometers away in the U.S.); International Crossing (approx. 0.6 kilometers away in the U.S.); Black Rock Harbor / From Plantation to Promised Land (approx. 0.6 kilometers away in the U.S.); Broderick Park / Distinctive River Ecosystems (approx. 0.6 kilometers away in the U.S.); Industrial Powerhouse (approx. 0.6 kilometers away in the U.S.). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Erie.
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Bertie Street Ferry Landing.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2012, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. This page has been viewed 518 times since then. Last updated on August 2, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 9, 2012, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.