Port Huron in St. Clair County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Intersection of Military Road and Indian Reservation
This tablet marks the intersection of the eastern line of the Indian Reservation surveyed in 1810 provided by the treaty made Nov. 17, 1807 between the U.S. Government and the Chippewa, Ottawa, Pottawattamie [sic], and Wyandotte Indians with the east line of the Military Road from Detroit to Fort Gratiot, completed in 1833.
Erected 1931 by Ottawawa Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
Location. 42° 58.506′ N, 82° 25.457′ W. Marker is in Port Huron, Michigan, in St. Clair County. Marker is at the intersection of Military Street (Business Interstate 69/94) and Water Street, on the right when traveling north on Military Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 Military Street, Port Huron MI 48060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Customhouse (about 400 feet away, measured Civil War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Harrington Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hammond American Legion Post 8 Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Port Huron Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Huron Lightship (approx. one mile away); Thomas Alva Edison (approx. 1.6 miles away); Underground Railroad (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Huron.
Also see . . .
1. Treaty Between the U.S. Government and the Ottawa, Chippewa, Wyandot, and Potawatomi Indians. (Submitted on August 9, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Port Huron, Michigan: "A Port City Built by the Railroad". (Submitted on August 9, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.