Chickamauga in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
3rd Georgia Cavalry
— Wharton's Division —
Colonel R. Thompson.
3 P.M., September 20, 1863.
Erected 1898 by the State of Georgia. (Marker Number MT-1281.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1859.
Location. 34° 53.004′ N, 85° 16.094′ W. Marker is in Chickamauga, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker is on Lee-Gordon Mill Circle south of Red Belt Road, on the right when traveling north. This historical marker is located on the high ground, over looking the Lee-Gordon Mill, and is situated less than a mile south of the LaFayette Road, on residential property. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chickamauga GA 30707, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Crittenden's Headquarters Shell Monument (here, next to this marker); Lytle's Brigade (a few steps from this marker); 36th Illinois Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 88th Illinois Infantry (a few steps Wood's Division (within shouting distance of this marker); 3rd Confederate Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Lee and Gordon's Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); 2nd Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chickamauga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “A rock-faced, peaked-top granite slab, 4'6" wide x 6' high x 1'8" thick, that carries an inscription, with a horseshoe carved in relief above it. Marks unit's position on September 20, 1863, at 3:00 p.m.”
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 436 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 10, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.