Chickamauga in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
88th Illinois Infantry
5 P.M. 19th to 3:30 A.M. 20th of September 1863.
Erected 1898 by the State of Illinois. (Marker Number MT-708.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 20, 1863.
Location. 34° 53′ N, 85° 16.107′ W. Marker is in Chickamauga, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker is on Lee-Gordon Mill Circle south of Red Belt Road, on the left when traveling north. This historical marker is located on the high ground, over looking the Lee-Gordon Mill, and is situated less than a mile south of the LaFayette Road, on residential property. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chickamauga GA 30707, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Crittenden's Headquarters Shell Monument (a few steps from this marker); Lytle's Brigade (a few steps from this marker); 3rd Georgia Cavalry (a few steps from this marker); 36th Illinois Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 2nd Georgia CavalryWood's Division (within shouting distance of this marker); 3rd Confederate Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Buell's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chickamauga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “2'6" x 1'2" x 2'6" high rectangular slab of dark Quincy granite. Rock-faced sides; polished & inscribed front. "Illinois" is in large raised letters on beveled top. Marks unit's position from 5:00 p.m. 9/19/1863 to 3:30 a.m. 9/20/1863.”
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 407 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 10, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.