Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Site of Battery Smartt
General Cheatham's Division.
(Marker Number MT-54.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 35° 3.329′ N, 85° 18.372′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Bluff View north of East 2nd Street, on the right when traveling west. This historical marker is located at the Hunter Museum, affixed to an ornate column, where a front entrance walkway, begins at the street sidewalk. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 Bluff View, Chattanooga TN 37403, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Headquarters Row (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harry Scott Probasco Family (about 700 feet away); Trail of Tears (approx. ¼ mile away); Stickball / Seven Sisters (approx. ¼ mile away); Ross's Landing (approx. ¼ mile away); Ernest Walter Holmes, Sr. (approx. ¼ mile away); Swaim's Jail (approx. ¼ mile away); 1790 John Ross 1866 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Regarding Site of Battery Smartt.
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. A list of the tablets placed throughout the city of Chattanooga, in the mid-1890s, that identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 520 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 22, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 8. submitted on July 20, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 9. submitted on August 25, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.