Laramie in Albany County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
First Woman Jury
Placed in 1922
The Jacques LaRamie
Erected 1922 by Daughters of the American Revolution, Jacques LaRamie Chapter.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Civil Rights • Women. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
Location. 41° 18.589′ N, 105° 35.768′ W. Marker is in Laramie, Wyoming, in Albany County. Marker can be reached from South 1st Street near East Garfield Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Laramie WY 82072, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Laramie Timeline (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Laramie (about 600 feet away); The Franchise (about 600 feet away); 150 N. 2nd Street (approx. ¼ mile away); First Ladies Excavation Site: Basement Entrance to the Warden's House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Excavation Site: Ice House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Excavation Site: Old Kitchen and Bakery Ovens (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Laramie.
More about this marker. This marker is located near the parking lot in Depot Park.
Also see . . . The First Woman Juror in America: Laramie’s Eliza Stewart. Laramie women made history in March of 1870 when five of them became the first women in the world to serve on a jury. The first name drawn for jury duty that spring, less than six months after Wyoming’s first territorial legislature granted women equal political rights, was Eliza Stewart, a Laramie schoolteacher. (Submitted on September 2, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 486 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.