San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The first settlement at the San Marcos River crossing of the road was Villa San Marcos de Neve, established by the Spanish in 1808. It was abandoned by 1812 due to the brewing Mexican revolution.
During their colonization efforts in 1820 and 1821, Moses Austin (1761-1821) and his son, Stephen F. Austin (1793-1836), very likely crossed the San Marcos River near this point.
Thomas Gilmer McGehee (1810-1890) settled on the east side of the river on a Mexican land grant about 1846. In 1859 his nephew, Charles L. McGehee, Jr. (1837-1929), acquired 1200 acres of land bordered by the Camino Real and the river. Ten years later he sold the land to his cousin, George T. McGehee (1836-1926). Due to the McGehee family's association with this historic site, it became known as McGehee Crossing.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Hispanic Americans • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail series list.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 29° 52.259′ N, 97° 53.787′ W. Marker is in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is at the intersection of San Marcos Highway (State Highway 80) and Old Bastrop Road (County Route 266), on the right when traveling west on San Marcos Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Cheatham-Hohenberg Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Col. Ignacio Elizondo’s 1813 Campaign (approx. 0.8 miles away); Charles Lewis McGehee Cabin (approx. 1.1 miles away); Site of the First Town of San Marcos (approx. 1.1 miles away); Don Felipe Roque de la Portilla (approx. 1.1 miles away); Thompson's Islands (approx. 1.9 miles away); San Marcos Springs (approx. 2˝ miles away); Southside School (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 920 times since then and 73 times this year. Last updated on September 5, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on October 2, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 2. submitted on May 1, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on September 5, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 5. submitted on May 1, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.