Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Belle View near Alexandria in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Colonial Fort

 
 
Colonial Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, September 26, 2006
1. Colonial Fort Marker
Inscription.  Nearby at John Mathew’s land on Hunting Creek, Governor William Berkeley constructed a fort authorized by the Virginia House of Burgesses on 21 Sept. 1674. Militiamen from Lancaster, Middlesex and Northumberland Counties garrisoned the fort under command of Capt. Peter Knight. The fort defended the northern frontier of the colony against the Susquehannocks and other Indian groups. Berkeley planned for it and other forts to serve as buffers and thereby enable the English and the Indians to coexist peacefully. Some colonists, especially those led by Nathaniel Bacon, favored a more aggressive approach. As a result, Bacon’s Rebellion erupted in 1675–1676.
 
Erected 1999 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number E-70.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraForts and CastlesNative Americans. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 21, 1674.
 
Location. 38° 46.763′ N, 77° 3.111′ W.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is near Alexandria, Virginia, in Fairfax County. It is in Belle View. Marker can be reached from George Washington Memorial Parkway (at milepost 7), on the right when traveling north. Located in the first parking lot of Belle Haven Park. Exit parkway on unnamed road to Belle Haven Marina and then take left turn into parking areas. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria VA 22307, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Jones Point (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wasteland or Wetland? (about 600 feet away); These Trees (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Place to Rest—or Nest (approx. 0.4 miles away); Anatomy of a Tidal Marsh (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced the original marker numbered E-70 with the same name that stood on Route 1 near Fort Hunt Road. That marker read Here on Hunting Creek, Governor Berkeley in 1676, built a fort for defense against the Susquehannock Indians in the troubles that led to Bacon's Rebellion.
 
Also see . . .  George Washington Memorial Parkway. (Submitted on December 20, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
 
Colonial Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By A. Taylor, November 9, 2015
2. Colonial Fort Marker
This marker is in the park, facing the Potomac River.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 2,625 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 20, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.   2. submitted on December 31, 2015, by A. Taylor of Laurel, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=775

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 17, 2024