Chickamauga in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
2nd Georgia Cavalry
— Wharton's Division —
Lieutenant Colonel F.M. Ison.
5:30 P.M. September 20, 1863.
Erected 1898 by the State of Georgia. (Marker Number MT-1279.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 34° 52.278′ N, 85° 17.539′ W. Marker is in Chickamauga, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker is on Cove Road (Georgia Route 341) south of Gordon Street, on the left when traveling south. This historical monument is located in the downtown area, in front of the Elizabeth Lee United Methodist Church Offices. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chickamauga GA 30707, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 3rd Georgia Cavalry (a few steps from this marker); 4th Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp George H. Thomas (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town of Lytle (within shouting distance of this marker); 3rd Confederate Georgia CavalrySickness at Camp Thomas (within shouting distance of this marker); North and South Reunited (within shouting distance of this marker); Crawfish Spring (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chickamauga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “A rock-faced, peaked-top granite slab, 4'6" wide x 6' high x 1'8" thick, that carries an inscription, with a horseshoe carved in relief above it. Marks unit's position on September 20, 1863, at 5:30 p.m.”
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 349 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 27, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.