Johnson in Lamoille County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Julian Scott, Vermont’s most renowned Civil War artist, was born in this Johnson house in 1846. At the start of the Civil War, when only 15, he enlisted as a fifer in the Third Vermont Regiment. Scott was awarded a Medal of Honor -- for rescuing wounded under enemy fire at the Battle of Lee’s Mills, Virginia. He later studied art under Emanuel Leutze at the National Academy of Design in New York and in 1870 was elected an associate member of the Academy. “The Battle of Cedar Creek,” his monumental 1874 painting, was commissioned as a Civil War memorial for the Vermont State House. Scott’s Civil War and Native American paintings are acclaimed for their authenticity, detail, and democratic viewpoint. He died in Plainfield, New Jersey, in 1901.
Erected 1998 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Native Americans • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Medal of Honor Recipients series list.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 384 Lower Main Street West, Johnson VT 05656, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Johnson World War and Spanish War Honor Roll (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Town of Johnson Civil War Honor Roll (about 600 feet away); Cambridge Junction Bridge (approx. 6.4 miles away); Morrisville Depot (approx. 6.6 miles away); Noyes House Museum (approx. 6.7 miles away); George Washington Henderson (approx. 7.8 miles away); Mount Mansfield Natural Area (approx. 9.8 miles away); Smugglers Notch (approx. 13.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnson.
More about this marker. Marker is located just west of the center of the village and in front of the Johnson Health Clinic.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for Julian Scott. (Submitted on September 30, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 504 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 29, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.