Tisch Mills in Kewaunee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
As the available land to the south became more difficult to obtain, new arrivals began to gravitate northward. In this valley through which flows the East Twin River, many found what they were looking for. This area had been known to the Indians of the area for a long time before the coming of the new inhabitants. The village of Black Earth, their summer planting ground, was located along this same river a short distance to the northeast.
The settlement of this area was typical of the settlements of others areas of the county at the time. A mill, usually a sawmill, was erected with the community developing around the mill. In this case two mills were built on the banks of the river, a sawmill and a gristmill. The community still carries the name of the first owners of these mills, Charles and William Tisch.
This was a heavily wooded area in the early days of settlement, so as in most areas of the county, incomes were supplemented, not by farming, but by selling or trading forest products such as bark or shingles.
As the land was cleared of trees, agriculture replaced lumbering as the economic
While any of the former business enterprises are gone, such as the brewery, blacksmith shop, cheese factory, and brickyard, some of them still survive although not necessarily in the original buildings. The latter include the mill, the store and the Forst Inn. The church, too, although not the original building has been in the community since the early days of settlement.
This community, although its development is similar to many other communities in Kewaunee county, is somewhat unique in that it, like Rosiere and Dyckesville, spans the line between two counties.
Erected 2002 by the Kewaunee County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 44° 19.659′ N, 87° 37.258′ W. Marker is in Tisch Mills, Wisconsin, in Kewaunee County. Marker is at the intersection of Mill Lane and County Highway BB, on the right when traveling north on Mill Lane. Marker is approximately 7 driving miles from Mishicot. Marker is just north of the Manitowoc County line at Tisch Mills Farm Center, Inc. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: N104 Mill Lane, Tisch Mills WI 54240, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Black Earth Indian Village (approx. 1.9 miles away); St. Joseph's Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Norman General Store (approx. 3.1 miles away); Ancient Buried Forest (approx. 3.8 miles away); Rogation Shrines (approx. 6.8 miles away); Rock Mill (approx. 7.9 miles away); Dikeman (approx. 9 miles away); Wisconsin's Maritime Industries (approx. 9.6 miles away).
More about this marker.
• Tisch Mills flood in the late 1800s
• Carl (Charles) Tisch
• A scene in the barroom at the Forst Inn
Also see . . .
1. Early Bohemian Immigration. History of Tisch Mills 1854-1972. "The mills went by the name of 'Carlton Mills' but in 1879 Charles Tisch, rechristened his new mills, 'Tisch Mills' by which this community received its name." (Submitted on October 1, 2014.)
2. History of Manitowoc County. Tisch Mills. (Submitted on October 1, 2014.)
3. Carl Johann Christian "Charles" Tisch. Find A Grave. (Submitted on October 1, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 1, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.