Cambridge in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The Indian College was Harvard’s first brick building and housed the college printing press where from 1659 to 1663 was printed the first Bible in North America, the Algonquian translation by John Eliot.
Of the first five American Indians to attend Harvard College, Joel Iacoomes, Eleazar, Benjamin Larnell died prior to graduation, John Wampus left and became a mariner, Caleb Cheeshahteaumuck of the Wampanoag tribe, class of 1665, was the first American Indian to graduate.
This plaque was placed by the Harvard University Native American Program, 1997. A gift of A. Ray Halbritter, HLS ’90, to his parents Ray and Gloria, sister Karen and brother Barry.
Erected 1997 by Harvard University Native American Program.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraEducation • Native Americans.
Location. 42° 22.43′ N, 71° 7.087′ W. Marker is in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. While not visible from the street, the slate marker is on the east-facing wall, southeast corner, of Matthews Hall at Harvard University. Matthews is in the oldest part of the campus, near the corner at Harvard Square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cambridge MA 02138, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fourth Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Stephen Daye (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cambridge (about 300 feet away); Hollis Hall (about 400 feet away); Christ Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Way to Charlestown (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gen. Thaddeus Kosciuszko (approx. ¼ mile away); Gen. Casimir Pulaski (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cambridge.
Also see . . . Harvard Gazette. Article from 2011 about the diploma, awarded 346 years late, to Joel Iacoomes of the Wampanoag tribe. (Submitted on October 8, 2014, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2014, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 405 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 8, 2014, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.