Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Manassas in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fifth Prince William County Courthouse

 
 
Fifth Prince William County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, July 5, 2020
1. Fifth Prince William County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The city of Manassas originated in 1852 at the junction of the Manassas Gap and the Orange & Alexandria railroads. During the Civil War the junction’s strategic significance led to two important battles nearby. After the war, as the community grew, citizens sought to move the county seat there from Brentsville. In 1872, a year before Manassas was incorporated as a town and again in 1888 referenda failed. A third referendum in 1892 succeeded. This Romanesque Revival courthouse designed by James C. Teague and Philip T. Marye, of Norfolk and Newport News, was completed in 1893 and served the county until 1984 when a new courthouse was built nearby.
 
Erected 1994 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number CL-5.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Manassas Gap Railroad, and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
 
Location. 38° 45.129′ N, 77° 28.56′ W. Marker is near Manassas, Virginia, in Prince William County
Fifth Prince William County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, July 5, 2020
2. Fifth Prince William County Courthouse Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is on Lee Avenue just south of Grant Avenue (Business Virginia Route 234), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9248 Lee Ave, Manassas VA 20110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prince William County World War I Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Peace Jubilee (a few steps from this marker); In Commemoration of the Manassas National Jubilee of Peace (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Bennett School (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ruffner Public School Number 1 (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manassas.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Manassas is the home of the fifth Prince William County Courthouse. The list includes marker links for all five Prince William County Courthouses in sequence from the first through the fifth.
 
The fifth Prince William County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, September 30, 2006
3. The fifth Prince William County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 2,307 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   3. submitted on December 21, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=778

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 9, 2022