Spiro in Le Flore County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Established June 16, 1834, by 7th Inf., and named in honor of Gen. John Coffee of Tennessee. Abandoned by U.S. Army in November 1838. In 1842 site selected by Choctaw Council and established as Ft. Coffee Academy for Boys. During Civil War buildings used as barracks by Confederate forces. In Oct. 1863 captured by Federal troops and principal buildings burned.
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 192.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 16, 1832.
Location. 35° 14.429′ N, 94° 35.722′ W. Marker is in Spiro, Oklahoma, in Le Flore County. Marker is on State Highway 9, 0.2 miles west of Daisy Lane (County Route N4735), on the right when traveling east. Actual location of Fort Coffee is approximately 5.5 miles north of the marker along the Arkansas River on private property. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Choctaw Agency (here, next to this marker); Skullyville (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Skullyville (approx. 0.7 miles away); Battle of Backbone Mountain (approx. 6.4 miles away); William O. Darby (approx. 13.7 miles away in Arkansas); Defending Fort Smith (approx. 13.7 miles away in Arkansas); Osage Nation (approx. 13.7 miles away in Arkansas); Missouri Kansas and Texas 100186 Power Car (approx. 13.7 miles away in Arkansas). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spiro.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2014, by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 486 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 11, 2014, by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?