Bokchito in Bryan County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Armstrong Academy, established by Choctaw Nation and named for Wm. Armstrong, Indian Agt., was opened in 1845. Rev. R.D. Potts, Supt., under Baptist Miss. Soc. Post Office established Nov., 1850. Confederate Capitol during Civil War. Choctaw Capitol, 1863-1883. Noted Chiefs there included Peter P. Pitchlynn, Allen Wright and Jackson McCurtain.
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 180.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Native Americans • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 34° 0.983′ N, 96° 7.833′ W. Marker is in Bokchito, Oklahoma, in Bryan County. Marker is on U.S. 70, 0.1 miles east of Ballpark Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bokchito OK 74726, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hancock Building (approx. 10.6 miles away); Ben Siegel Building Craighead's 5 & 10 Store (approx. 10.6 miles away); Cowboy Pink Williams (approx. 10.6 miles away); W.O.W. Building (approx. 10.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2014, by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 634 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 13, 2014, by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. 2. submitted on August 5, 2022, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.