Liberty Hill in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John G. Matthews
(March 3, 1824 - November 4, 1903)
Tennessee native John Giles Matthews came to Texas with his parents in 1839 and settled in the new town of Austin. A Ranger for the Republic of Texas, Matthews served in the Mexican War and the Civil War before moving to Williamson County in 1870. Here he was a farmer and was active in church, school and civic activities. The father of 9 children, he was first married to Sarah (Strong) (d. 1852). In 1855 he wed Leanorah (Carothers) (d. 1892).
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9295.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers • War, Mexican-American • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 30° 40.638′ N, 97° 56.895′ W. Marker is in Liberty Hill, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of State Highway 29 and County Route 277, on the left when traveling west. In Liberty Hill Cemetery. Marker is located at his grave, plot Old Cemetery, Block 4, Lot f. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William O. Spencer (within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty Hill Cemetery (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bryson Stagecoach Stop (approx. Ό mile away); First Baptist Church of Liberty Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stubblefield Building (approx. 1.8 miles away); Liberty Hill Masonic Hall (approx. 1.8 miles away); Liberty Hill Methodist Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Site of Concord School (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty Hill.
Also see . . .
1. Find A Grave. Link to John Giles Matthews listing on "Find A Grave". (Submitted on October 13, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
2. John Giles Matthews. Williamson County Historical Commission (Submitted on March 4, 2017, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,529 times since then and 48 times this year. Last updated on October 13, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on December 26, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on October 13, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on March 4, 2017, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.