Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sylvania in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Sylvania

 
 
Sylvania Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, May 2008
1. Sylvania Marker
Inscription.  Sylvania was established as the county seat of Screven County by an Act of the General Assembly, December 24, 1847. Moses N. McCall, Willis Young, John A. Cross, John R. Kittles, Solomon Zeagler, William Lovett and John Roberts were named Commissioners to locate the new county seat in the center of the county and to remove the court house and jail from Jacksonboro, where the county seat had been since 1797.

The Commissioners, on January 3, 1848 purchased 50 acres of land from Charles Church which was divided into streets and lots by Azzariah Eneis, Surveyor. The Commissioners contracted with Curtis Hunphries to build the new courthouse and with James P. Bazemore to build the new jail at a cost of $1575.00 and $400.00 respectively. The buildings were completed and delivered to the county April 3, 1848.

The first Post Office was established August 10, 1848 and Edward B. Gross was appointed first Postmaster. The Town of Sylvania was incorporated, February 20, 1854, and the first Town Commissioners were: Domonick J. Dillon, Winsley Hobby, Daniel Roberts, William Williams, and Charles Church.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-16.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraLaw EnforcementSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Postal Mail and Philately series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1819.
 
Location. 32° 45.022′ N, 81° 38.202′ W. Marker is in Sylvania, Georgia, in Screven County. Marker is at the intersection of Ogeechee Street (Business U.S. 301) and Main Street (Georgia Route 21), in the median on Ogeechee Street. Near the West side of Square in Sylvania. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sylvania GA 30467, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Screven County (here, next to this marker); The Sinking of the H.M.S. Otranto (a few steps from this marker); Wesleyanna Memorial Church (approx. 4 miles away); Jacksonborough (approx. 5.4 miles away); The 14th Corps (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Goodall House (approx. 5.4 miles away); Washington's Route (approx. 5.4 miles away); John Abbot (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sylvania.
 
Additional commentary.
1. Identification of the Two Cannon
Sylvania Marker, backround includes the town square image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Sylvania Marker, backround includes the town square

Civil War cannon often, but not always, bear markings that aid in identification of individual weapons. Somewhat like serial numbers, these were indented to give army officials a means to track weapon issue and durability. One of the pieces at the Sylvania Town Square was made by Cyrus Alger & Company, of Boston, Massachusetts in 1862. It has the registry number 50 on the muzzle, along with the initials "T.J.R." for Thomas Jackson Rodman, who inspected the weapon. The weight listed on the muzzle is 1,013 pounds. The other piece, also inspected by Rodman, was cast in 1863 by Henry N. Hooper, Co. also of Boston. The Hooper gun is registry number 103, and weight 1,228 pounds.
    — Submitted May 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
 
Marker and West view of US 301 Bus. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, May 2008
3. Marker and West view of US 301 Bus.
12-pdr Model 1857 Field Gun in Town Square image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, May 2008
4. 12-pdr Model 1857 Field Gun in Town Square
Two historic Civil War cannons, commonly known as 12-pound Napoleons guard the town square. These guns have a bore of 4.62 inches in diameter.
Historic Civil War Cannon image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
5. Historic Civil War Cannon
A solid iron ball of that diameter that weighs 12 pounds gives the cannon part of its name. The barrels are 60 inches deep from muzzle to base bore. Overall the bronze guns are 72.5 inches long.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,770 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=7797

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024