Kingsland in Llano County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1892, the Austin and Northwestern Railroad built a railroad bridge at the Llano-Colorado river confluence and a depot between the tracks in Kingsland. At the same time, the railroad company purchased this land from Mrs. N.J. King. The company started construction of the Antlers Hotel in 1900. The two-story wooden hotel, which opened in 1901, was designed to welcome railroad passengers, who could easily walk from their train. Hotel porches afforded views of both rivers, and guests could also stay in small cabins later built on the grounds. Visitors walked across the street to enjoy a park full of cottonwood trees that featured a pavilion with stage and dressing rooms. Behind the hotel, guests and residents fished in the adjoining lake, then called Crescent Lake. Pleasant and convenient, the railroad resort was frequented by tourists and
As the automobile’s influence slowed rail travel, the hotel business quieted; C.E. Schults purchased the hotel in 1913 and later sold it to the Van Der Stucken family. In 1923, former hotel guest Thomas H. Barrow of Austin bought the Antlers, and he and his family spent summers and vacations here. He also purchased surrounding land and, after death in 1936, his family continued to enjoy the property until they sold it in 1993. The hotel and cabins were refurbished and reopened as a hotel complex in 1996, once again offering Texas hill country scenery and recreation to its many guests.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15150.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 30° 39.621′ N, 98° 26.197′ W. Marker is in Kingsland, Texas, in Llano County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of King Court and Pecan Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1001 King Court, Kingsland TX 78639, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McKinley Coach (within shouting distance of this marker); The Antlers Caboose Rooms Fisher - Miller - Grant (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hoover's Valley Cemetery (approx. 4˝ miles away); Longhorn Caverns (approx. 5.4 miles away); Granite Industry in Llano County (approx. 5.4 miles away); Longhorn Cavern Administration Building (approx. 5.4 miles away); C.S.A. Salt Works (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingsland.
Also see . . . The Antlers Inn. (Submitted on December 2, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2017. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 523 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 15, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.