Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Well House

 
 
Well House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, April 2, 2008
1. Well House Marker
Inscription.  The well house was constructed of poured concrete and was used for storing water on the farm. One room housed a pump, which drew water from a shallow well outside. The second room housed a cistern that was used for storing water after it had been drawn from the well. This building was constructed in 1885, which is etched into the mortar on the side of the building. The use of poured concrete walls was highly unusual in the 1880's, making this structure very unique for its time.
 
Erected 2008 by Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Agriculture. In addition, it is included in the NOVA Parks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
 
Location. 39° 6.777′ N, 77° 30.612′ W. Marker is near Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Edwards Ferry Road (County Route 773) and Red Rock Way, on the right when traveling west on Edwards Ferry Road. Located at the parking lot for the Red Rock Wilderness Overview Regional Park. Touch for map.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is at or near this postal address: 43098 Edwards Ferry Road, Leesburg VA 20176, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Red Rock Wilderness Overlook Regional Park (a few steps from this marker); Two-Chambered Granary (within shouting distance of this marker); Carriage House (within shouting distance of this marker); Ice House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ball’s Bluff Masked Battery (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Ball’s Bluff Masked Battery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Confederate Earthworks (approx. one mile away); Edwards Ferry (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesburg.
 
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a depiction of the Well House by Karen Milnes.
 
Marker Seen from the Parking Lot Next to the Well House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, April 2, 2008
2. Marker Seen from the Parking Lot Next to the Well House
The Well House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, April 2, 2008
3. The Well House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,379 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=7834

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024