Anson in Jones County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fort Phantom Hill C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense
Fort Phantom Hill C.S.A.
Located 10 mi. east, 9 mi. south on old Butterfield stageline. Upon secession company of First Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles used it as an outpost to give protection against Indians. Stopover on way west for some Union sympathizers and people wanting to avoid conflict of war. In 1862 the frontier defense line was pulled back more than 30 mi. east. However scouting parties and patrols of Confederate and state troops intermittently visited the post in aggressive warfare to keep Indians near the camps and away from settlements and to check on invasion by Union forces. Usually supplying their own mounts, guns and sustenance these men guarded the frontier until war’s end.
Texas Civil War Frontier Defense
Texas had 2000 miles of coastline and frontier to defend from Union attack, Indian raids, marauders. Defense lines were set to give maximum protection with the few men left in the state. One line stretched from El Paso to Brownsville. Another had posts set a day’s horseback ride apart from Red River to the Rio Grande. Phantom Hill and other U.S. forts used by scouting parties
A memorial to Texans who served the Confederacy
Erected 1964 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 2006.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Civil • Wars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1862.
Location. 32° 45.374′ N, 99° 53.807′ W. Marker is in Anson, Texas, in Jones County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Court Plaza (U.S. 83/277) and 12th Street. Marker is located near the front (south) entrance of the Jones County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Anson TX 79501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anson Jones (here, next to this marker); Jones County (here, next to this marker); Jones County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Omar Burleson (within shouting distance of this marker); Anson Opera House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church Building (about 700 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Anson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cowboys' Christmas Ball (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anson.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Phantom Hill - Fort Phantom Foundation. Official website of the Fort Phantom Foundation with abundant information and images on the fort. (Submitted on November 17, 2014.)
2. Fort Phantom Hill. From the Texas State Historical Association's "Handbook of Texas Online". (Submitted on November 17, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 17, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.