Near Six Mile in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Prince George
Fort Prince George, covered by Lake Keowee since 1968, was built nearby in 1753, near the unofficial boundary between Cherokee lands and white settlements. Across the Keowee River from the Cherokee Lower Town of Keowee, it was built to protect whites and Cherokees from the Creeks or other enemies and had been promised to the Cherokee "headmen" by Gov. James Glen since 1748.
Erected 2014 by Piedmont Chapter, South Carolina Society, Daughters of the American Colonists. (Marker Number 39-17.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these Colonial Era • Forts or Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Colonists series list.
Location. 34° 51.433′ N, 82° 52.913′ W. Marker is near Six Mile, South Carolina, in Pickens County. Marker is on Keowee Baptist Church Road half a mile south of Talton Road, on the right when traveling south. Located at the entrance to Mile Creek Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 757 Keowee Baptist Church Road, Six Mile SC 29682, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Keowee Town (approx. 2.2 miles away); Wm. Jennings Bryan Dorn Bridge (approx. 4˝ miles away); Henry Craig (approx. 4˝ miles away); Old Pickens Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Old Pickens Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Andrew Pickens (approx. 4.6 miles away); Six Mile Veterans Monument (approx. 5.1 miles away); Cherokee Path (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Six Mile.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2014, by Dianne Culbertson of Gray Court, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 591 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 18, 2014, by Dianne Culbertson of Gray Court, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.