Historic Burial Grounds
Old First German Reformed Church, United Church of Christ
Pastors buried in Franklin Square
Rev. John Conrad Steiner, 1762,
Dr. Caspar Dietrich Weyberg, 1790,
Rev. Michael Schlatter, 1790,
Rev. John Herman Winkhaus, 1793,
Dr. William Hendel, 1798.
"Around these leaders of the Lord's host far and near a silent congregation now sleep thousands of those to whom they once ministered they Holy Ordinances of the Church, and the precious instructions and consolations of the Gospel."
Presented by the Congregation of Old First Reformed Church, United Church of Christ, Fourth and Race Sts., Philadelphia, PA. on the 251st Anniversary, September 24, 1978.
H. Daehler Hayes,
Erected 1978 by Congregation of Old First Reformed Church, United Church of Christ.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. A significant historical date for this entry is September 24, 1793.
Location. 39° 57.333′ N, 75° 9.014′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker can be reached from Race Street. Marker is in Franklin Square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19107, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Franklin Square (a few steps from this marker); History of the Fountain (a few steps from this marker); History of Franklin Square (within shouting distance of this marker); History of the German Reformed Church Burial Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); History of Carousel Making in Philadelphia (within shouting distance of this marker); Chinatown / Tai Chi (within shouting distance of this marker); Black Powder Magazine (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Franklin Square (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Also see . . . Old First Reformed UCC History. (Submitted on November 29, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 27, 2014, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 430 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 27, 2014, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.