Chattahoochee in Gadsden County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Ellicott's Observatory
At the end of the American Revolutionary War in 1783, Florida was returned to Spain after twenty years of British control. Controversy soon arose over the exact location of the boundary between Spanish Florida and the state of Georgia. In 1795, Spain and the United States signed the Treaty of San Lorenzo, an agreement fixing the boundary in question at the thirty-first parallel and providing a survey to be made to determine the exact location of that line. In May, 1796, President George Washington appointed Andrew Ellicott, a mathematician and experienced surveyor, as the American Commissioner for the survey. After much delay, work got underway in June, 1798. A party of Spanish and American surveyors carrying with them a large accumulation of apparatus required for making astronomical and land measurements began the task of determining the exact boundary line. By August, 1799, the group had reached the Chattahoochee River. On August 23, they selected a site near the mouth of the Flint River as a campsite. Near this marker, an observatory was set up. Here Ellicott made his calculations until difficulty arose with Indians residing in the
Erected 1975 by the Gadsden County Historical Commission in cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-241.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Exploration • Native Americans. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1796.
Location. 30° 42.012′ N, 84° 50.989′ W. Marker is in Chattahoochee, Florida, in Gadsden County. Marker is at the intersection of Pearl Street and High Street, on the right when traveling south on Pearl Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 502 Pearl Street, Chattahoochee FL 32324, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Scott Massacre (approx. 0.4 miles away); Nicolls' Outpost (approx. 0.4 miles away); Chattahoochee Landing Mound Group (approx. 0.4 miles away); Apalachicola Arsenal (approx. 0.8 miles away); United States Arsenal (1832-1861) (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Apalachicola Arsenal (approx. 1.1 miles away); Sneads (approx. 4˝ miles away); Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattahoochee.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Ellicott's Observatory - A Key Moment in Gadsden County, History. (Submitted on December 7, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 7, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 406 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 7, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.