Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Medford in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Friends Graveyard

 
 
Friends Graveyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 28, 2014
1. Friends Graveyard Marker
Inscription.  The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) established this graveyard in 1759 along with the beginning of Upper Evesham Meeting that now is called Medford Monthly Meeting. The first recorded burial was that of Mark Stratton in the same year. Plain, low stones reflect Quaker belief in equality and simplicity. Some familiar local names within are Haines, Lippincott, Pickett, Stokes, Wilkins, Allen, Branin, Evans and Jones.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionColonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism series list.
 
Location. 39° 53.952′ N, 74° 49.602′ W. Marker is in Medford, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is on Union Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Medford NJ 08055, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Peter’s Episcopal Church (a few steps from this marker); The Jonathan Haines House (a few steps from this marker); Friends Meeting (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Mary Smith House
Friends Meeting House-behind the Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 28, 2014
2. Friends Meeting House-behind the Cemetery
(about 500 feet away); Nine South Main Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Medford Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Medford World War I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Medford World War II Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medford.
 
Friends-Sign at the entrance image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 28, 2014
3. Friends-Sign at the entrance
Union Fire Engine-organized 1814 image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 28, 2014
4. Union Fire Engine-organized 1814
This building is on the Friends Meeting House property.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 7, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 212 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 7, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 1, 2020