Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Mission Of San Pedro y San Pablo de Patale
In 1633, the province of Apalachee in Spanish Florida received its first full-time resident missionaries. The Franciscan Mission of San Pedro y San Pablo de Patale which was located about one hundred yards north of this marker was one of the first missions with a resident priest to be established in the region after that date. Like other Spanish missions in Florida, this outpost of Spanish domination was designed to convert and "civilize" the Indians. It also served as a center for the civil and military authority of Spain on the frontier. Archeological investigations at the site in 1971 revealed the structural remains of the mission church and other buildings and a cemetery for the burial of Christians containing some 64 graves.
The mission of Patale evidently continued as an important segment of the mission system until its destruction in June, 1704. By that time, the colonial rivalry between Spain and England had become very keen. In 1703-1704, Colonel James Moore of South Carolina led
Erected 1973 by Fred O. Dickinson, Jr. In Cooperation With Department of State. (Marker Number F-209.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1704.
Location. 30° 28.001′ N, 84° 9.007′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker is on Spanish Mission Court, 0.2 miles north of Buck Lake Road, on the left when traveling north. Marker located on private property, inside a locked fence. Cannot view the reverse side of marker. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 566 Spanish Mission Court, Tallahassee FL 32317, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chaires Historic District (approx. 2.7 miles away); Under Cover of Corn (approx. Hickory Hill Cemetery of Welaunee Plantation (approx. 3.7 miles away); The "Luraville Locomotive" (approx. 4.8 miles away); a different marker also named The Luraville Locomotive (approx. 4.8 miles away); Old Pisgah (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Blues Trail: Mississippi to Florida (approx. 6 miles away); Goodwood Mansion (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
Also see . . . A Spanish Mission’s Brutal Past. Tallahassee Magazine website entry (Submitted on December 10, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 526 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 10, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 2. submitted on December 10, 2014, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 3, 4. submitted on December 10, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.