Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Southwest Quadrant in Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Alexandria Academy

 
 
Alexandria Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, September 26, 2006
1. Alexandria Academy Marker
Inscription.  On 17 Dec. 1785, George Washington endowed a school here in the recently established Alexandria Academy “for the purpose of educating orphan children.” In 1812, an association of free African Americans founded its own school here in space vacated by white students. Young Robert E. Lee attended another school in the Academy from 1818 to 1823, when it closed and the building was sold. During the Civil War the Academy served as a freedman’s hospital. Returned to the Alexandria School Board in 1884, the Alexandria Academy was used as a school and administrative facility until 1982. The Historic Alexandria Foundation restored it in 1999.
 
Erected 1999 by Virginia Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number E-89.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducationScience & MedicineWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 17, 1785.
 
Location. 38° 48.083′ N, 77° 2.852′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. It is in the Southwest Quadrant. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street (Virginia Route 400) and Wolfe Street, on the right when traveling north on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington School Compound (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Alexandria Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Beulah Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans' Memorial Walkway (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Elton B. Hummer (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
 
More about this marker. The Academy is listed as being at 604 Wolfe Street but the Marker is on Washington Street.
 
Also see . . .  History of the Alexandria Academy. (Submitted on January 14, 2007.)
 
The Alexandria Academy image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, December 30, 2006
2. The Alexandria Academy
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 3,732 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=813

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024