Trenton in Gibson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Fighting for Trenton
Forrest's Artillery Position
— Forrest's First West Tennessee Raid —
Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest led his cavalry brigade on a raid through West Tennessee, Dec. 15, 1862 - Jan. 3, 1863, destroying railroads and severing Gen. Ulysses S. Grant's supply line between Columbus, Kentucky and Vicksburg, Mississippi. Forrest crossed the Tennessee River at Clifton, defeated Union Col. Robert C. Ingersoll's cavalry at Lexington, captured Trenton and Union City, and ranged briefly into Kentucky. He raided back through Tennessee, evaded defeat at Parker's Cross Roads, and crossed the river again at Clifton. Grant changed his supply base to Memphis.
Gen. Nathan B Forrest placed his artillery here during the attack on Trenton on December 20, 1862. Union Col. Jacob Fry, commanding a unit of about 250 hastily assembled convalescents and other soldiers, occupied the area around the Mobile and Ohio Railroad depot about eight blocks in front of you. He had earlier fortified the high ground here, but had been ordered to send his regular troops to Jackson, and therefore could only defend a small area within the town. Federal sharpshooters stopped Forrest’s initial charge, but
In 1895, a monument was erected to honor nine Confederate soldiers (six known and three unknown) buried here. Local residents interred here include Col. Thomas J. Freeman and Col. Munson R. Hill. Hill moved to Trenton in 1849, and during the war he commanded the 47th Tennessee Infantry. He and his men arrived at the Battle of Shiloh on April 7, 1862, the only reinforcements the Confederates received. Hill died in 1863. Freeman was born near Trenton in 1827 and commanded the 22nd Tennessee Infantry during the war. The unit fought in several battles including Shiloh and Belmont, Missouri. Freeman later served with Forrest. He died in 1891.
“They planted a battery of six guns on an elevated position southeast of the stockade. Two of these guns were inside of our own earthworks, one howitzer on the southwest and one on the north, and commenced shelling our position. Sixteen shells were fired, one passing through the depot, near a large quantity of ammunition, but did not explode.” — Col. Jacob Fry
“I dashed into town and attacked the enemy at Trenton. They were fortified at the depot, but were without artillery. After a short engagement between their sharpshooters and our cavalry our battery opened on them, and on the
(lower left) Forrest's First West Tennessee Raid, Dec. 15, 1862-Jan. 2, 1863
(center) Shelling Trenton - Courtesy Tennessee State Library and Archives
(lower right) Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest Courtesy Library of Congress
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 35° 58.256′ N, 88° 56.78′ W. Marker is in Trenton, Tennessee, in Gibson County. Marker is on Cemetery Road 0.1 miles west of South Brownsville Street, on the right when traveling west. The marker is located in Oakland Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton TN 38382, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fighting for Trenton (approx. 0.6 miles away); Forrest at Trenton (approx. 0.7 miles away); David Crockett (approx. ¾ mile away); Gibson County Courthouse (approx. ¾ mile away); Gibson County Confederate Memorial (approx. Fighting for Trenton (approx. ¾ mile away); Female Collegiate Institute (approx. 0.8 miles away); C.S.A. Camp Trenton (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
Also see . . . The Battle of Trenton. (Submitted on June 20, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 498 times since then and 59 times this year. Last updated on March 15, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 20, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.