Columbia Heights in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
— 1804 - 1923 —
Erected by Army and Navy Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Environment • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 38° 55.293′ N, 77° 2.18′ W. Marker was in Columbia Heights in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker could be reached from 16th Street Northwest north of Crescent Place Northwest, on the right when traveling north. Marker is on the retaining wall near stairs leading up to Meridian Hill/Malcolm X Park. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 2420 16th Street Northwest, Washington DC 20009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Art for the People (a few steps from this marker); The Envoy (within shouting Park Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); An American Meridian (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Meridian Hill/Malcolm X Park (about 300 feet away); College Hill (about 300 feet away); Visionary and Park Champion (about 300 feet away); Creating the "City Beautiful" (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia Heights.
More about this marker. The original "stone," a small freestone obelisk placed in 1804, marked the northern end of 16th Street, NW, at Meridian Hill. This point was directly north of the White House on the so-called Washington or "White House" Meridian, the established east-west longitudinal divide and official starting point for U.S. map makers prior to 1884. In the early 1900s, 16th Street was extended northward, and the stone was lost.
Also see . . . Washington Meridian. (Submitted on December 29, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
1. Establishing and Marking the 16th Street Meridian
Frank L. Cuffey, in Geodetic Letter, March 1936, describes the establishment and marking of the 16th Street meridian:
"In 1804, Nicholas King under the direction of a Mr. Brigg, laid out a meridian through the center of the President's house. This was also established by celestial observation by setting up a transit at the northern door of the President's house and pointing to the star in the tail of the constellation Ursa
— Submitted March 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Additional keywords. astronomy, cartography, navigation, surveying.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,013 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on April 20, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 29, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3. submitted on March 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4. submitted on December 29, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5, 6. submitted on April 20, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.