Fort Atkinson in Jefferson County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1960 by Fort Atkinson Historical Society. (Marker Number 99.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Man-Made Features • Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 42° 55.511′ N, 88° 51.27′ W. Marker is in Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Riverside Drive (State Highway 106), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Atkinson WI 53538, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Koshkonong (approx. 1.2 miles away); Soldiers and Sailors (approx. 1.3 miles away); Lorine NiedeckerBlack Hawk War Encampment (approx. 3.9 miles away); Lake Koshkonong Effigy Mounds (approx. 4.4 miles away); Lincoln Hill (approx. 4½ miles away); Whitewater Historical Society Depot Museum (approx. 8.9 miles away); Stone Stable (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Atkinson.
More about this marker. Related markers at same location by Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin Historic Preservation Commission ("Panther Intaglio Effigy Mound circa 1000 A.D., Local Landmark 1998") and Fort Atkinson Chapter D.A.R. 1920 ("Indian Intaglio Effigy, Panther Type Length 125 feet, Surveyed by Increase A. Lapham 1850"). Please see the below pictures.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 2,257 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on April 23, 2015, by Donald Yochem of West Bend, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 4. submitted on May 1, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 1, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.