Lebanon in Wilson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Neddy Jacobs Cabin
In 1801 the Tennessee State Legislature appointed five commissioners to determine the site for a County Seat for Wilson County. They chose this site around the spring and cabin. When Lebanon was founded and lots were sold on August 16, 1802, there was one family living in a cabin near the spring around which the town was laid out. Edward (Neddy) Jacobs and his Lumbee Indian wife had moved into the cabin in 1800. Neddy, an Irishman who had shipwrecked off the coast of North Carolina, was taken in by the Lumbee Indians. There he met his wife, Layula, before moving westward to Tennessee.
Neddy later built a new cabin for his family, but after his death, Layula left and moved west with a band of Cherokee who passed through Lebanon on the Trail of Tears.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1780.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 N Cumberland St, Lebanon TN 37087, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. History of the Logs Used in this Cabin (here, next to this marker); Lebanon (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Lebanon (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Veterans and Robert H. Hatton Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilson County Courthouses (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lebanon Post Office (about 600 feet away); Pickett Chapel / Civil Rights (about 800 feet away); Robert Looney Caruthers (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lebanon.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 738 times since then and 118 times this year. Last updated on May 12, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 27, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.