Mount Sterling in Montgomery County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Little Mountain Indian Mound
On this site stood the massive Little Mountain Indian Mound, from which Mount Sterling derived its name. Constructed by the Adena Indian culture about 2000 years ago, the circular mound stood 25 feet in height and 125 feet in diameter and was located along the Warrior’s Trace.
It was a prominent landmark used by William Calk and Enoch Smith to survey land claims in 1775. James Estill and his men camped here on March 21, 1782, the night before the battle of Estill’s Defeat. In 1845, the city removed the mound & extraordinary artifacts of copper, marble, stone, and shell were recovered during the excavation.
Erected 2009 by the Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2290.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1931.
Location. 38° 3.303′ N, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 132 South Queen Street, Mount Sterling KY 40353, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mt. Sterling, Kentucky (approx. ¼ mile away); Montgomery County Kentucky Vietnam Casualties (approx. ¼ mile away); Montgomery County. 1797 (approx. ¼ mile away); Courthouse Burned (approx. ¼ mile away); Montgomery County World War II Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Montgomery County Kentucky World War I Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Montgomery County Korean War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Civil War Robbery / Bank Sues (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Sterling.
Also see . . . Explore Kentucky History article. (Submitted on June 5, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 539 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 5, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.