Near Marlin in Falls County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Falls of the Brazos River
Organized in 1850, Falls County was named for this distinctive landmark. Marlin became the county seat in 1851, and Bucksnort soon disappeared. The Brazos River changed course in 1866, moving the Fall line to the present site and lowering the rapids to about
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1563.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 31° 14.948′ N, 96° 55.236′ W. Marker is near Marlin, Texas, in Falls County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market Road 712 west of County Road 301, on the left when traveling west. Located in Falls of the Brazos County Park. Park near the store building. Marker is in the playground south of the parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 644 FM 712, Marlin TX 76661, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Bucksnort (approx. 2.3 miles away); Hot Mineral Water (approx. 4.3 miles away); Indian Battlefield (approx. 10.3 miles away); Judge Albert G. and Harriet Elizabeth Grimes Perry (approx. 10.3 miles away); North Prairie School (approx. 11.4 miles away); Westphalia Little School (approx. 14˝ miles away); Church of the Visitation (approx. 14˝ miles away); St. Mary's Cemetery (approx. 14˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marlin.
Also see . . .
Falls County article in Handbook of Texas. The article describes the history of the area around the falls. (Submitted on June 24, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
2. Falls On The Brazos Park. (Submitted on June 25, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 603 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 24, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 2. submitted on October 17, 2017, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 3. submitted on June 24, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.